Friday, November 7, 2008

Nobody Like That

On the way to the dentist yesterday, I listened to a local talk radio show that I rarely hear. One of the callers described how shocked he was at the results of the election. He said he didn't know anyone who voted for Obama — no one from his church, his neighborhood, his work place or anywhere. He went on and on and on . . . And, he was really proud of himself for being in that position.

Nowhere in the Scripture do I find us being called to completely isolate ourselves. We are not called to merely surround ourselves with people who are just like us. Not only does that sound incredibly boring to me, it smacks of the the pride that leads us to pray like the Pharisee Jesus described:
To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everybody else, Jesus told this parable: "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.' Luke 18:9-12

We are called to be holy, set apart. We are called to be in the world, but not of the world. We also are called to engage the world:
If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Matthew 5:46-47

One of the lessons of this election is that we must engage in the dialogue of the culture. Only then do we have an opportunity to shape the dialogue for Him.

I do know folks who voted for Obama. And I also know of at least two who voted for McCain after hearing my positions and, I believe, as a result of the Lord hearing my prayer that their hearts would be turned. I don't agree with the folks who voted for Obama, but I still love them and still pray that their hearts will be turned. I believe they have been blinded to the Truth, so I pray that the eyes of their hearts will be opened.

4 comments:

Maree said...

Glad you are back! I agree with you on reaching out to the world.

When I started blogging several months ago...it was to help some of my friends loose weight. Ha! Look at me now...all over the place. What I realized though was my blog gave me a voice past my neighborhood and into the world.

My christian friends that are pro choice read my blog...quietly with no response, but they are reading.

I LOVE everything you write and look forward to your postings!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Probably half of the people we know voted for Obama! Even my best friend :-(

We are always planting seeds whether we know it or not, hopefully they are good seeds, not for weeds!!

What is your Joy blog?

Katherine

chicagobluesgirl said...

Here is my concern--while I totally agree with how we have to move
forward on putting the wheels in motion to get Sarah on the ticket we
may not be able to do most of what we want if the Democrats have a
filibuster-proof vote. They can easily remove our voice in the media
through the Fairness Doctrine or Democrat approved amnesty for the
illegals and the felon vote. so all of our work might be for naught
if we are sabotaged in this way. We have to have some kind of balance
in Congress.
> Right now there is a race in Georgia for another Republican seat in
the senate. We are very, very close to the dangerous 60 Democratic
seats. I don't know how people can help--like many of you--I have a
70 hour a week job--we are all so busy. I am going to donate to the
Republican Trust --a group that is fighting for
> Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R). If anyone else wants to donate, go here:

https://secure. yourpatriot. com/ou/tnrt/ nat_repub_ website/donate. aspx

Anyone who is in or near Georgia can help to get out the
Republican vote by contacting their local GOP. I am aware that many
people do not know the importance of this race and the one in
Minnesota. The race is over the first week in December. Thanks
everyone.

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Hi,
I posted something new on my Power of Prayer blog you may want to read.
http://christiansprayerpower.blogspot.com/

Katherine